Tuesday, April 7, 2015

"Mangocado" Ribbon Salad! GF, V, SCD & Paleo!

Hey Happy Tummies!!

I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth, I promise!

Things have just been suuuuuper busy around here! I’m actually writing a book!! :D



I won’t get into too much detail, but I’ve just been devoting all my spare time to working on that…soooo that’s why I’ve been a bit absent.

So let’s just dive right back in, shall we!?

I’ve been to Sundance, Florida, and Cincinnati since I’ve last seen you lovelies. Sooo, I think I’ll just do a quick recap.



So Sundance. I go every year with my family to do some skiing, spa-ing, and of course, taking in some great films!

I had a fantastic time. It was especially fun this year because my little niece was with us! She brings so much joy and life to our family. What. A. Cutie.



I thought I’d share some highlights.

Let’s start with the Spa:)



We went to the Spa at the Stein Eriksen Lodge. It was just phenomenal. If you’ve never treated yourself to a trip to the spa, consider this your personal invitation!

It was so beautiful. The “relaxation room” had a roaring stone and wood fireplace with sweeping views of the mountain. Rustically fabulous. And there were all different kinds of hot teas and little nibbles to enjoy while you wait for your massage.

What. A. Treat.

Afterwards, my sister-in-laws and my mom and I went to the Stein’s restaurant and had cocktails and fondue. :D



Next: the Skiing.







What can I say, Deer Valley really is the best place to ski. They’re one of the only ski resorts that don’t allow snow boarders! It’s a very relaxed and tranquil atmosphere. We skied for 5 days. Incredible.

Now for the best part: the DINING!

My goodness, where to begin? Probably my favorite place we ate was at the Seafood Buffet. 





First, let me preface this by saying that my family consists of “big eaters:” I’ve got 2 older brothers and a dad, who are all over 6 feet, athletic, and fit as a whistle. Park City’s restaurants, although fabulous and 5 star, leave them still hungry. And there’s nothing more frustrating to the menfolk than paying out the nose for an itty bitty amount of food, and then leaving hungry. Plus, my diet is rather particular, so I end up getting basically a boring salad with oil and vinegar. No thanks. SOOO, my family has discovered the Seafood Buffet. 



It is amazing. Now, you’re probably thinking about a Golden Corral….nope! This is a gourmet buffet. It’s at midmountain, and every evening the ski resort transforms the lodge into a 5 star restaurant brimming with fresh seafood, sushi, salads, and desserts. Yes, your eyes are not tricking you, that is a buffet of fresh king crab legs! WOW!



I mean, that is a VAT of CLARIFIED BUTTER, people. 




But what my family loves best about this place is that it is nearly ALL gluten free! There were only one or two sauces that weren’t gluten free. So we were in Heaven.



My favorite dishes were the gorgeous salad with pecans and cranberries, the seared-to-order ahi tuna, and of course, the king crab legs. It was the dinner that dreams are made of :) hehe


We also saw some great films and did some shopping...for crazy sunglasses :)



Alright, that’s enough about Sundance. Onto today's recipe!

Guys, hang onto your hats, because this is a winner!





Allow me to present my latest obsession. Literally, you guys, I eat this all. the. time.





Introducing my “Mangocado” Ribbon Salad!

(See what I did there??) Mango + Avocado = Mangocado  Hey hey hey!

OK, I’m a nerd, moving on.






But seriously this was so delicious and healthy. Ribbons of carrots and crunchy veggies, smothered in a sweet and creamy dressing. A perfect ten.

Here’s what you need: (Serves 2)

Salad:
3 carrots, spiralized. (I used multicolored carrots – orange, yellow, and purple)
1 zucchini, spiralized
1 red pepper, sliced thin
1 cucumber, spiralized

Garnish:
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
pistachios

Creamy Dressing:
1 Avocado
1 Mango
Juice of ½ a lime
2 tsp fresh grated ginger

This recipe couldn’t be easier. Cut your veggies into ribbons, using either a spiralizer, mandolin, potato peeler, or sharp knife. I used a spiralizer. Put them in a large bowl.

Place your dressing ingredients into the food processor. Process until smooth. It will be thick.

Toss your ribbons with the dressing. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and pistachios.

Devour.


My goodness, you guys. This. Dish. Rocks. You see, I’m kinda a stickler for salad dressings. I guess you could say, I’m a snob. Because, I don’t like when they add artificial this and presevative-laden that to it. I just like real ingredients – things I’m able to pronounce. Well, let me tell you, this dressing couldn’t get any more wholesome if you tried!




It is so incredible. Rich. Thick. Creamy. Buttery. Sweet. Gingery. I could go on and on. I seriously could probably drink it, to be honest! But this dressing, smothered over the cold, crunchy veggies was just aweeesomeee! And then the salty crunch of the pistachios and the bright, fresh kick of cilantro at the end really put it over the top.




And the colors! My, oh my. It was like spring had sprung on my plate. The orange and purple and green and yellow. It was just so pretty. I knew, just from looking at it, that my taste buds were in for a treat.




Make this dish. You will become a believer of the dream team: Mango and Avocado. Or as I like to refer to them: Combo Dombo – Combination Domination.


See ya tomorrow!

44 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your awesome recipe and photo's, really made my day, can't wait to make this, especially looking forward to the dressing! Sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I hope you love it as much as I did! :D

      Delete
  2. SEAFOOD BUFFET & A SPA!!! I DONT THINK I CAN GET ANYMORE JEALOUS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thanks Gigi, yeah it was pretty fun. glad you stopped by! have a great day!

      Delete
  3. ooh adding mango to the avocado yum! This is right up my alley. Hope you will join up for Meatless Monday. Your trip looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! I'll check it out:) Glad you stopped by! Happy Wednesday!

      Delete
  4. What a fab looking salad! And your trip looks wonderful. And those sunglasses look good on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thanks Lorraine. they were just too fun not to try on:) glad you stopped by! have a great day!

      Delete
  5. This salad looks so good and that dressing though- yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :D have a great day! thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. All those fresh berries and seafood! I wish I were there too! Your carrot ribbon salad looks to die for! I love to blend mango and avocado together too...it was so unbelievably creamy, rich, yet so GOOD for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i know ...creeeeeammmmyyy!! haha thanks for stopping by! have a great afternoon!

      Delete
  7. Hello Seafood Buffet! I could spend some time there ;) Mango+Avocado and a spiaralized salad, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Lauren! i know, we didn't want to leave! have a great day! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. You've been a busy traveler! Such fun! LOVE your salad. It think I could give my spiralizer a good workout!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! there's just something about eating spiralized veggies that's just too fun:) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Now you know I love a good salad. This just looks amazing. And I just love your photos.

    Kay of Pure & Complex
    http://www.purecomplex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kay. I appreciate that:) Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  10. This sounds amazing :) I will keep this in mind, as I have all the ingredients on hand...love when that happens! I don't have the nifty veggie spiral tool, so will be veggie-peeling into ribbons when I do make it! It will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annaliese! Oh yes, definitely worth the effort! Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your afternoon!

      Delete
  11. So cool that you go to Sundance! I am an aspiring screenwriter and novelist, so I'm pretty jealous ;) Love this salad too. Mango in a dressing? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! yep...mango in the dressing! It's was yummy:) Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  12. Hi Caralyn!
    Amazing news. I'm so glad for you.
    Delicious recipe.

    Thanks for share your recipes and beautiful moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maribel:) I appreciate that. So glad you stopped by! Enjoy your afternoon!

      Delete
  13. Next time, I wants in. On all of it! And what a creative sauce! Love it--I finally got myself a spiralizer, and I have issues ;) This has to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Thank you so much Susie! Glad you stopped by! happy cooking:)

      Delete
  14. It sounds like you had a great time on your holiday. And the picture of the slopes - to die for.
    Good luck with your book :)
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! It was a lot of fun:) Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  15. That does look like a fantastic Salad, i will admit. Cant imagine how Avocado and Mango can be mixed together.

    the trip to Sundance looks very luxurious. thanks for sharing. keep us up to date on the show as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shen! I appreciate that:) oh gosh, that combination, I will admit seems a little, "out there" but gosh it was really tasty! glad you stopped by! have a great day!

      Delete
  16. You've been having a blast, and I love this beautiful salad! I just got a spiralizer and can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcie! I love that gadget:) enjoy us ring it! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  17. Omg. All that crab!!!! I am such a crab lover. And the salad. Looks fantastic. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you so much Kathy! Enjoy your day! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. That looks like a fun vacation!! And that recipe!! Yum! I've made a similar dish with zucchini noodles and an avocado dressing, but I love the addition of the mango. Just plain avocado can be a little dense. Excited to hear more about your book!

    -Lindsey @ SimplyLindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lindsey! Oooh, that sounds delicious. I love zucchini noodles:) Glad you stopped by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  19. It looks that you all had a fabulous time away! MMMM too!
    I made your lovely creamy salad but served it with grilled fish on the side! Divine combination too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omylord! This is delish! Now you got me craving salad. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just wanted to add a comment to mention thanks for your post. This post is really interesting and quite helpful for us. Keep sharing.

    potpourri for sale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information. Thanks

    potpourri smoke

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed reading every little bit of your blog. Please keep up the good work. It was so interesting! Thanks for sharing.
    Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!